Free Artist Easel Plans
Artist Easel Plans
How to make this simple artist easel. Download a PDF copy of the free artist easel plans.
This is a simple, lightweight and easy to make artist easel that can also be used as a display easel.
It stands about 170cm tall and has an adjustable shelf support.
- 2 x 3.6m lengths of 19mm x 42mm clear pine
- 1 x 800mm length of 12mm x 90mm meranti or pine
- 1 x 100mm Tee hinge
- 2 x 8mm (5/16") bolts 50mm (2") long with washers and wing nuts
- 2m of braided cord or thin rope
You will also need a packet of 6mm dowels, and 6 No. off 6g screws to attach the hinge.
At least one sheet of sandpaper - 120 grit and a sanding block.
There are no special tools needed to complete this project. Most of these tools are part of the average handyman's tool kit.
The following tools may be useful, but they are not absolutely essential for the completion of the project:
A finishing plane such as the trusty Stanley Bench Plane.
Unless you have a layout table, a pair of sawhorses will help to keep the project off the workshop floor.
Free Artist Easel Plans
It is always a good idea to study the free artist easel plans before cutting anything.
I don't have a layout table (yet), so I had to clear a space in my workshop (actualy the garage) to put the sawhorses in place. I have also been known to work directly on the floor.
- Take 1 length of 3.6m long clear pine and cut it in half. Use the angle shown on the plan and round off the other two ends.
- Drill the holes as shown on the plan. It is best to clamp the two pieces together to ensure the holes are in the same position.
- Cut the the other 3.6m length to the dimensions shown on the plan. I would suggest cutting everything slightly oversize, you can always trim them later. The two horizontal pieces are trimmed flush when everything is glued up.
- This is where things can get a bit tricky: laying out the pieces and drilling the holes for the dowels. Use the sliding bevel make sure all the angles are the same.
- Use the spring clamps to hold everything in place and drill two holes at each joint for the dowels.
- Apply woodworking glue to all the joints, carefully re-align everything and leave it for the glue to set.
- The horizontal support is made up of three pieces sandwiched together to form the slots. It is easier and neater to do it this way than trying to cut out a slot. Make sure there is enough clearance for the bolts.
- Glue the 12mm thick shelf and leave to set.
- Once the glue has set on the main framework, trim the dowels and the two horizontal pieces, then sand off all the sharp edges.
- Fit the third leg using the tee hinge after checking the length is about right.
- Attach the braided cord, and fix the horizontal support shelf, and you are ready to paint your masterpiece.
Artist Easel Plans For Sale
Four Easels and Display Stands Pack of Woodworking Plans
There are four easel and display stands in this package of woodworking plans. They include:
- An elegant adjustable easel for displaying art or photos in a fine furniture setting.
- A Victorian style pictures stand based on Victorian pole screens.
- An adjustable three legged artist easel.
Easel Woodworking Plan Featuring Norm Abram
Norm came up with his own art easel for kids to draw on. Using ideas from several store bought units and his own design efforts, the easel has a chalk board on one side and a paper drawing surface on the other which is feed from a roll on top. The easel frame also has a drawer where the little ones can store all of their art supplies.
Childrens 2 Sided Art Easel Woodworking Plan.
Height: 58.1 inches (147.6 cm)
Width: 23 inches (58.4 cm)
Length: 25 inches (63.5 cm)